Cozy Home Cooked Valentine's Dinner for Two
Roasted Veggie Pasta
What you need:
1 lb whole-wheat pasta*
1 tbsp. avocado oil (or other high heat cooking oil)
1 medium red onion, sliced
1-2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved/quarted**
1 large eggplant, skin on & cut into even sized cubes
1 large zucchini (cut into small chopped cubes)
1 large carrot (cut into small chopped cubes)
2 tbsp. fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 handfuls of spinach (chopped)
Fresh pepper, to taste
Pinch of sea salt
*I love this dish with penne pasta, but spaghetti or linguini works too!
**Your call, depends on how much you like tomatoes!
1. Preheat oven to 425oF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, as you will need them in the next step!
2. In a large bowl, toss in the onion, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, oil and salt. Mix it up and place on baking sheets until mixture it even spread out.
3. Prepare large pot of water to cook pasta. Add a pinch of salt and a little oil to the pot before adding the water. Once pasta is fully cooked. Before straining, scoop out ½ cup of pasta water and set aside.
4. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven add garlic, thyme & lemon juice. Stir and place back in the oven. Roast again for 10 minutes. I like mine a little crispy so you can also keep it in there for a little while longer!
5. In another large bowl, combine pasta, cooked vegetables and remaining ingredients. These include the balsamic vinegar, pepper and spinach. If pasta looks a little dry, add pasta water 1 tbsp. at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Healthy Tip: This dish pairs well with a white wine. To make a spritzer, I recommend adding carbonated water to your wine glass!